Catering To the Entertainment Industry
The Law Offices of Eli M. Kantor has helped many world-class studios, such as Legendary Pictures, and world class entertainers resolve all of their immigration matters, such as Academy Award winning actress, Juliette Binoche (Godzilla), Academy Award Nominated and Golden Globe Winning Actress Sally Hawkins (Godzilla), Academy Award Winning Director, Juan Campanella, (El Secreto de Sus Ojos), BAFTA Award Nominated Director, Gareth Edwards,( Godzilla, Monsters), BAFTA Award Winning Director, Duncan Jones (Warcraft), BAFTA Award Nominated Actor Aaron Taylor Johnson (Godzilla), AFI Award Winning Production Designer, Owen Paterson (The Matrix), Academy Award Nominated Cinematographer, Seamus McGarvey (Atonement), Assistant Director, Luc Etienne (Godzilla), Emmy Award Nominated Make up Artist Victoria Down (Godzilla), Genie Award Winning Sound Mixer Michael McGee (Godzilla), Genie Award Nominated Boom Operator Charles O'Shea (Godzilla), Gemini Award Nominated Make up Artist Christopher Pinhey (Godzilla), ADG Excellence in Production Design Award Nominated Supervising Art Director Grant Van Der Slagt (Godzilla), Saturn Award Nominated SPFX Coordinator Joel Whist (Godzilla), Satellite Award Nominated Set Decorator Elizabeth Wilcox (Godzilla), Actor, Chacko Vadaketh (2012: Ice Age), Line Producer Erin Smith (Taken), Cinematographer, Javier Aguirre Sarobe (Twilight),Cinematographer, Serge Ladouceur (Supernatural) Cinematographer, Derick Underschultz (In Treatment),AFI Award Winning Visual Effects Supervisor, Christopher Godfrey, (Australia), 3D Producer, Marcus Alexander (Godzilla), Hair and Make-up Artist, Tara Smith (Sex and the City," the film") Writer, Fiona Horne, Literary Editor, Deborah Kaufman, Taurus Award Winning Stuntwoman, Zoe Bell (Kill Bill), Stuntwoman, Samatha Thjia (Suckerpunch, Man of Steel, 300), Composer, Alexandre Desplat (Godzilla, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Monuments Men, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo), Score and Music Producer, Dominique LeMonnier (Zero Dark Thirty, Fantastic Mr. Fox). Mr. Kantor is known for representing numerous foreign actors, actresses, producers, directors, cinematographers, stuntmen, make-up artists, and other industry professionals, primarily by obtaining O-1 and O-2 visas and EB-1 Green Cards for these individuals.
We have established excellent working relationships with the AMPTP, SAG-AFTRA, DGA, and IATSE so that we can obtain "No Objection" letters promptly. When time is an issue - we can deliver results from Immigration.
O-1 VISA: EXTRAORDINARY ABILITY (ARTS, MOTION PICTURE, OR TELEVISION)
The O-1 category also applies to aliens who are coming temporarily and have extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.
Petition Document Requirements
A U.S. employer should file the I-129 petition with:
- A written advisory opinion, describing the alien’s ability as follows:
- If the petition is based on the alien’s extraordinary ability in the arts, the consultation must be from a peer group (including labor organizations) in the alien’s field of endeavor, or a person or persons designated by the group with expertise in the alien’s area of ability.
- If the petition is based on the alien’s extraordinary achievements in the motion picture or television industry, separate consultations are required from a labor and a management organization with expertise in the alien’s field of endeavor.
- A copy of any written contract between the employer and the alien or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the alien will be employed;
- Evidence the alien has received, or been nominated for, significant national or international awards or prizes in the particular field, such as an Academy Award, Emmy, Grammy or Director’s Guild Award, or evidence of at least three of the following:
- Performed or will perform services as a lead or starring participant in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts or endorsements;
- Achieved national or international recognition for achievements, as shown by critical reviews or other published materials by or about the individual in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other publications;
- A record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as shown by such indicators as title, rating or standing in the field, box office receipts, motion picture or television ratings and other occupational achievements reported in trade journals, major newspapers or other publications;
- Received significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies or other recognized experts in the field in which the alien is engaged, with the testimonials clearly indicating the author’s authority, expertise and knowledge of the alien’s achievements;
- A high salary or other substantial remuneration for services in relation to others in the field, as shown by contracts or other reliable evidence; or
Note: If the above standards do not readily apply to the alien’s occupation, the petitioner may submit comparable evidence in order to establish the alien’s eligibility.
O-2 VISA: SUPPORT PERSONNEL
category applies to aliens accompanying an O-1 artist or athlete
to assist in a specific event or performance. This person would be acting as an essential and integral part of the artistic or athletic performance of an O-1 artist or athlete because he or she performs support services
which cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1.
Petition Document Requirements
The petition must be filed by a U.S. employer in conjunction with the filing of the O-1 alien petition and must be filed with:
- A written advisory opinion.
- If the O-2 petition is for an alien accompanying an O-1 alien of extraordinary ability in the arts, the opinion must be from a labor organization with expertise in the skill area involved.
- If the O-2 petition is for an alien accompanying an O-1 alien of extraordinary achievement in the field of motion picture or television, the opinion must be from a labor organization and a management organization with expertise in the skill area involved.
- The requirements for an advisory opinion letter from the AMPTP may be obtained at
- Evidence of the current essentiality, critical skills, and experience of the O-2 alien with the O-1 alien, and that the alien has substantial experience utilizing the critical skills and essential support services for the O-1. In the case of a specific motion picture or television production, the evidence shall establish that significant production has taken place outside the U.S., and will take place inside the U.S. and that the continuing participation of the alien is essential to the successful completion of the production.
O-3 VISA: DEPENDENTS
Spouses and minor children (dependents) of O-1’s are admitted under O-3 status with the same restrictions as the principal. They may not work in the U.S. under this classification.
P-1B VISA: MEMBER OF AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
For multiple DJ's in a musical group or other bands, rather than utilizing the more difficult O-1 Visa, the P-1B visa may be the ideal alternative.
The P-1B classification applies to you if you are coming to the United States temporarily to perform as a member of an entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time.
- At least 75 percent of the members of your group must have had a substantial and sustained relationship with the group for at least one year.
- Your entertainment group must be internationally recognized, having a high level of achievement in a field evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered.
- The reputation of the group, not the individual achievements of its members or the acclaim of a particular production, is essential.
Note: Individual entertainers not performing as part of a group are not eligible for this visa classification.
Special Provisions for Certain Entertainment Groups
- Alien circus performers and essential circus personnel are exempt the one year requirement and the internationally recognized requirement. The alien or aliens must be coming to join a nationally recognized circus.
- Certain nationally known entertainment groups may have the internationally recognized requirement waived if they can establish they have been recognized nationally as outstanding in its discipline for a sustained amount of time in consideration of special circumstances.
Your U.S. employer must submit:
- Form I-129, Petition for a Non-Immigrant Worker accompanied by the appropriate fee and supporting documentation. Please note that if you are a petitioner who will be filing as an agent for multiple employers you must establish that you are duly authorized to act as an agent. The required conditions can be found at the link to the right (see the memorandum “Requirements for Agents and Sponsors Filing as Petitioners for the O and P Visa Classifications”.
- A consultation from an appropriate labor organization regarding the nature of the work to be done or a statement proving that the group has been established and performing regularly for a period of at least one year (If no appropriate labor organization exists, this requirement is excused)
Form I-129 must include the following documents:
- Written consultation from an appropriate labor organization
- Itinerary with the dates and locations of the performances
- A copy of the contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary or summary of terms of the oral agreement under which the beneficiary will be employed
- Evidence that your group has been established and performing regularly for at least one year
- Statement from the petitioner listing each member of the group and the exact dates for which each member has been employed on a regular basis by the group
- Evidence that your group is internationally recognized as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time as demonstrated by evidence of your group's receipt of, or nomination for, significant international awards or prizes for outstanding achievement in the field, or evidence of at least three of the following:
- Your group has performed and will perform as a starring or leading entertainment group in production or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts, or endorsements
- Your group has achieved international recognition and acclaim for outstanding achievement in its field as evidenced by reviews in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines or other published material
- Your group has performed and will perform services as a leading or starring group for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publications, or testimonials
- Your group has a record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as evidenced by indicators such as ratings, box office receipts, record, cassette or video sales, and other achievements as reported in trade journals, major newspapers or other publications
- Your group has received significant recognition for achievements from critics, organizations, government agencies or other recognized experts in the field
- Your group has commanded and will command a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services comparable to others similarly situated in the field, as evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence